Dehydration is one of the main causes of headaches, so remember to stay hydrated while exercising through winter.
Ensuring that your body gets enough fluids is the best way to avoid a dehydration headache.
Some useful tips include:
- Take in as much liquid as you need to not feel thirsty.
- Drink enough water so that your urine is a light yellow or clear colour.
- Remember that not all fluids are created equal. Alcohol and drinks containing caffeine, such as coffee, actually function as a diuretic. This means that they cause you to lose fluid.
- Recognise that if you are overweight, live in a warm climate, are at a higher altitude or engaged in strenuous physical activity, you may require more water intake than the recommended eight glasses of water.
- Keep in mind that consuming more fruits and vegetables is a way to increase your water intake. That being said, it's not a supplement for drinking pure water.
- Seek out shade when it's hot out, plan outside activities for cooler parts of the day, and hydrate in advance of any sporting or active event.
« back to current articles